Saturday, September 02, 2006

Corn

This is from my visit to Germany in 1998 We had been divorced less than a year and I was participating in training in Hohenfels Germany at the CMTC combat maneuver training center. On a weekend pass I took a train from Hohenfels to Rothenburg to call on the Ex wife. Mainly this was to achieve closure and to visit some friends in Rothenburg. I did manage to deal with some unresolved issues and am a better person for it. When I moved from Germany in 96 the plan was I would find an apartment then once that had happened she would join me; well she deviated from the plan found a boyfriend got pregnant and asked for a divorce. For months and months I pondered what I did wrong or why she suddenly changed. So when I heard that my unit was sending 12 bodies to Germany I raised my hand and said sure the Thomas will go. At the end of the day I realized that the problems were always there I just refused to acknowledge them. Also it came up that she also has issues with abandonment as her father left when she was young; so in her mind I had deserted her when I moved back to the states and as a result reached out for companionship of any sort. Not much of an excuse for adultery but after all she is European and they do view things just a tad bit differently than Americans. So I acceptance of each others short comings we barbequed some corn and had a nice quiet evening. I wonder sometimes if Kerstin is somewhere in Europa still searching for corn.

No comments: